The UP Pilot Food Plant (PFP) was established in 1962 primarily to serve as a training laboratory for food technology students. It also provides technical assistance services in the form of food processing, product development and quality control to private individuals, small and medium scale companies, and goverment agencies.
The Department of Clothing, Textile and Interior Design (CTID), formerly known as the Department of Clothing, Textiles, and Related Arts (CTRA), staffed off as one of the four departments established under the College of Home Economics (CHE) in 1961. The CTID Department is involved in instruction, research and extension. Its academic programs center on the basic needs of families, specifically on clothing and interior space.
The Department of Home Economics Education, the oldest in CHE, was first established in 1922 under the College of Education. Its mission is to develop more economists who are exemplars of knowledge, skills and humanitarian values committed to enabling individuals and families to become effective members of local and global communitites through quality instruction research and extension.
The Department of Hotel, Restaurant and Institution Management (HRIM), originally part of the department of Food Science and Nutrition of the College, bacame a separate department in May 1998. The original HRA program was instituted in 1969 as a response to an urgent need for graduates for middle management level who are well grounded in business and hotel as well as food service administration.