Error message

Warning: symlink(): No such file or directory in _collageformatter_image_file_check() (line 919 of /var/www/home/che/public_html/sites/all/modules/contrib/collageformatter/collageformatter.module).
Home >> Content >> Admissions



     No student shall be denied admission to te University by reason of age, nationality, religious belief or political affiliations. Every admitted student shall undergo a thorough health examination before he is allowed to enroll. No person shall be admitted to the classes in the University who is found by the University Health Services to be suffering from a contagious or infectious disease or who is physically unfit to take courses in any college of the University.

     Every student shall, upon submission, sign the following pledge: "In consideration of my admission to the University of the Philippines and of the privileges of a student in this institution, I hereby promise and pledge to abide by and comply with all the rules and regulations laid down by competent authority in the University and in the College in which I am enrolled." Refusal to take this pledge or violation of its terms shall be sufficient cause for summary dismissal or denial of admission.

     No person who has not matriculated may be admitted to the classes. In exceptional cases, the University Registrar may, on the recommendation of the DEAN concerned, authorize the admission of a visitor to a class for not more than five sessions.

FRESHMEN. Students admitted as freshmen are those who passed the UP College Admission Test (UPCAT) for Diliman and those whose applications for admission have been assessed and referred to by the University registrar.


TRANSFER STUDENTS FROM OTHER UNIVERSITIES AND COLLEGES. A student who has attented another college or university may apply for admission to selected undergraduate programs of the College through the University Registrar, subject to University rules governing the admission of transfer students.

     The admission of a transfer student shall be on probation basis until such time as he shall have validated or repeated, in accordance with the rule of validation for advance credits, all the subjects taken outside this University which are required for his course.

     An admitted transfer student must validate all the courses he is requesting for advance credits at the rate of at least 18 units per semester within a period not exceeding three semesters from the date of his admission.

     An admitted transfer student may not be allowed to enroll in a subject or subjects the prerequisites of which, taken elsewhere, have not yet been validated or repeated in this University System.

     Any or all of the above rules may be set aside in exceptional cases upon recommendation of the committee on admissions and units where admission of students is passed upon this committee, or of the DEAN concerned and upon the approval of the President.

     A student transferring from any recognized institution, who possesses an Associate in Arts, or its equivalent of 66 units of work, may be enrolled without validation. Before a student is allowed to major in any discipline, the major discipline may prescribe additional courses or up to 18 units of general education courses or preparatory courses for major. (Approved by CHE Faculty Referendum, September 10, 1985).


TRANSFER STUDENTS FROM OTHER UP CAMPUSES AND DILIMAN UNITS. A student who has attended a UP unit may apply to selected undergraduate programs of the College provided that he is UPCAT qualified and that he is not dismissed from any College/unit in the semester immediately preceding the application for admission. He shall also meet the following requirements:

Required Weighted Average:

S1 & S2: Curriculum Weighted Average (CWA)

T1 & T2: General Weighted Average (GWA)

For BSFLCD & BSFT: The student must have a CWA of 2.5 or better for S1 and S2; a GWA of 2.5 or better for T1.

For BSHRIM: (S1 and S2 only). The student must have a CWA of 2.50 or better and must be included in the qouta count.

S1 (Shiftee 1) - from within CHE

S2 (Shiftee 2) - from other programs within UP Diliman

T1 (Transferee 1) - from UP units outside UP Diliman

T2 (Transferee 2) - from other schools/universities

For BSCN, and BSHE: The student must have a CWA of 2.75 or better for S1 and S2; a GWA of 2.75 or better for T1. For BSHE, the student must undergo an interview.

For BSCT and BSID: The student must have a CWA of 2.75 or better for S1 & S2; a GWA of 2.75 or better for T1. A talent test and an interview are given.


BSCT & BSID: A student must have a GWA of 2.00 or better. A talent test and an interview are given. (for Second Degree Applicants only for BSID)

BSHE: A student must have a GWA of 2.00 or better and must undergo an interview.



     The College of Home Economics accepts application to graduate programs every first and second semester. Applicants to master's degree programs must have a General Weighted Average (GWA) 2.0 or better in their undergradute courses (for non-UP graduates) and 2.5 or better (for UP graduates). Applicants to doctoral programs must have a GWA of 2.0 or better in their master's degree. BS/BA degree holders applying for doctoral programs will follow the same requirements for those applying to master's degree programs. The departments prescribe additional requirements to prepare the applicant for graduate work or in cases where applicants do not satisfy these conditions but demonstrate potential for graduate studies.

For most graduate programs, proof of English proficiency shall be required of students whose native language is not English, except those graduated from institutions where the medium of instruction is English. For the MHE and PhD HE programs, proof of English and/or Filipino shall be required, except those who graduated from institutions where the medium of instruction is English or Filipino.



     Qualified applicants, who for a valid reason cannot enroll during the semester originally applied for, may apply for deferment of enrollment to the next succeeding semester by writing to the University Registrar in the case of qualified Freshmen Applicants, or to the DEAN of the College in case of qualified applicants for graduate programs.



     The first day of the scheduled General Registration marks the beginning of the semester a summer periods. All qualified students shall register for enrollment of the required courses in their respective programs during the period. Students will have to pay the fine for late registration.

     All courses enrolled in should be entered in the official registration form, UP Form 5, with the correct course number and section. All required data should be filled out properly. Registration is completed with the UP Form 5 stamped "REGISTERED".



     Within the University: A student who wishes to register in another campus in the university shall not be allowed to enroll without the endorsement of the DEAN of the College and the Registrar of the campus which the student is primarily enrolled, and the approval of the University Registrar. The student must fill out the cross-registration form (UP Form 5B). The total number of units of credit for which a student may register in two campuses in this University should not exceed the maximum allowed by the rules on academic load.

     From another Institution: A student registered in another institution and who wishes to cross-register in UP must present a permit from his DEAN or Registrar. The permit should state, in writing, the total number of units for which the student is registered and the subjects that he is authorized to take in the University.

     To another Institution: The University gives no credit for any course taken by any of its students in any other institution unless the enrollment in such course was expressly authorized by the Chancellor on the recommendation of the DEAN concerned. This written authorization is to be recorded by the University Registrar and should specify the subjects authorized. Courses taken outside the University shall be subject to validation.



     Courses aprroved by the University Council as prerequisites to other courses may not be waived. However, in meritorious cases, a student who has previously enrolled and fully attended a course that is a prerequisite to another may be allowed to enroll and attend the latter course for credit, without having passed or earned credit, without having passed or earned credit for the prerequisite course.

     Permission shall be granted only upon application by the student. Each College shall be authorized to grant the permission and shall act through a Dean's committee which shall determine the merit of the application.



     A transfer to another class shall be made for only valid reasons. No change of matriculation involving the taking of a new subject shall be allowed one week after the start of regular classes. Changes in matriculation shall be affected by filling up UP Form 26A.



     A student may, with the consent of his/her instructor and the Dean, drop a course by filling up  the UP Form 26 before 3/4 of the hours prescribed for the semester/trimester/quarter term have elapsed and not later. Any student who drops a course without the approval of the DEAN shall have his registration privileges curtailed or entirely withdrawn. If a course is dropped after the middle of the term, the faculty member concerned shall indicate the date and the class standing of the student and the time of dropping  as either Passing or Failing solely for administrative guidance.

     The dropping slip, after having been duly accomplished and paid for at the Cash Office, shall be submitted to the University Registrar.



     Every substitution of subject must be based on at least one of the following:

       1. When a student is pursuing a curriculum that has been superceded by a new one and the substitution tends to bring the old curriculum in line with the new.

       2. Conflict of hours between two required subjects; or

       3. When the required subject is not offered during the semester the student needs it.

       Every petition for substitution:

         1. Must involve subjects within the same department, if possible; if not, the two subjects concerned must be allied to each other;

         2. Must be between in which the subject substituted carries a number of units equal or greater than the units of the required subject.

       All petitions for substitution must be submitted to the Office of the Dean concerned before 12% of the regular class meetings have been held.

       No substitution shall be allowed for any subject prescribed in the curriculum in which the student has a failing grade except, when in the opinion of the department offering the prescribe subject, the proposed substitute covers substantially the same subject matter as the required subject.



     Senior undergraduates with a general weighted average of 2.0 or better are allowed to enroll in a maximum of six units of graduate course in the University.




      Any undergraduate student who obtains at the end of the semester an absolute minimum average of 1.45 or better is given this honorific scholarship.

       Any graduate student who obtains at the end of the semester an absolute miminum weighted average of 1.25 or better is given this honorific scholarship.

       University scholars are listed in the President's or Chancellor's List of Scholars.



       Any undergraduate student who, not being classified as University Scholar, obtains at the end of the semester an absolute minimum weighted average of 1.75 or better is given this honorific scholarship.

        Any gradute student who, not being classified as University Scholar, obtains at the end of semester an absolute minimum weighted average of 1.5 or better is gven this honorific scholarship.

       College scholars are entered in the DEAN's List of Scholars.


        In addition to the general weighted average prescribed, a student must:

           1. Have taken during the previous semester at least 15 units of academic credit or the normal load prescribed for undergraduate; at least 8 units for graduate students

           2. Have no grade below 3.0 in any academic or non-academic subject.

          Grades of "Inc." must be completed by the end of semester. (The end of the first semester is the day before the advanced registration of the next semester. The end of the second semester is the day of the commencement exercises). The effectivity of the scholarship is the end of the semester concerned. Honorific scholarships do not entitle the holders to any tuition free waiver, either partial or full.


Scholastic Delinquency

Warning.  Any student who obtains final grades at the end of the semester below 3.0 in 25% to 49% of the total number of academic units for which he is registered will receive a warning from the Dean to improve his work.

Probation. Any student who, at the end of the semester , obtains final grades below 3.0 in 50% to 75% of the total number of academic units in which he has final grades shall be placed on probation for the succeeding semester and his load shall be limited to the extent to be determined by the Dean. Probation may be removed by passing with grades of 3.0 or better in more than 50% of the units in which he has final grades in the succeeding semester.



1. Any student who, at the end of the semester, obtains final grades below 3.0 in more than 75% but less than 100% of the total number of academic units in which he received final grades, shall be dropped from the rolls of the College .

2. Any student on probation who, again fails in 50% or more of the total number of units in which he received final grades shall be dropped from the rolls of the College.

3. Any student dropped from one college shall not ordinarily be admitted to another unit of the University unless in the opinion of the Vice-Chancellor for Student Affairs his natural aptitude and interest may qualify him in another field of study in which case he may be allowed to enrol in the proper college or department.


Permanent Disqualification

1. Any student who at the end of the semester, obtains final grades below 3.0 in 100% of the academic units in which he is given final grades shall be permanently barred from readmission to any college or school of the University.

2. Students who were dropped in accordance with the rules on Dismissal and again fail so that it becomes necessary again to drop them, shall not be eligible for readmission to any college of the University.

3. Permanent disqualification does not apply to cases where, on recommendations of the instructors concerned, the faculty certifies that the grades of 5.0 were due to the student’s unauthorized dropping of the subjects and not to poor scholarship. However, if the unauthorized withdrawal takes place after the mid-semester and the student’s class standing is poor, his grades of 5.0 shall be counted against him for the purpose of this scholarship rule. The Dean shall deal with these cases on their individual merits in the light of recommendations of the ViceChancellor for Student Affairs; Provided, that in no case of readmission to the same or another college shall the action be lighter than probation. A grade of “Inc.” is not to be included in the computation. When it is replaced by a final grade, the latter is to be included in the grades during the semester when the removal is made. Required courses in which a student has failed shall take precedence over other courses in his succeeding enrolment.


Leave of Absence

A leave of absence may be requested by filing up the prescribed form and accomplishing the college clearance. The request should state the reason for which the leave is desired and specify the period of the leave. The leave should not exceed one year but may be renewed for at most another year. When not taken in two successive years, the aggregate leave of absence should not exceed two years. A student who needs to go on leave of absence beyond the allowable period of two years should be advised to apply for an honorable dismissal, without prejudice to readmission.The College, through the Dean or his/her duly authorized representative, shall inform (1) the University Registrar and (2) the parents/ guardian of every student granted leave of absence, of such leave, indicating the reasons for the same and the amount of money refunded to the student. For leave of absence availed of during the second half of the semester, the faculty members concerned shall be required to indicate the class standing of the student (passing or failing) at the time of the application for the leave. No application for leave of absence shall be approved without indication of the student’s class standing by the instructors concerned. This, however, should not be entered in the official Report of Grades. If a student withdraws after 3/4 of the total number of hours prescribed for the course has already elapsed, his instructor may give him a grade of 5 if his class standing up to the time of his withdrawal was below 3. No leave of absence shall be granted later than two weeks before the last day of classes during the semester. If the inability of the student to continue with his class is due to illness or similar justifiable causes, his absence during this period shall be considered excused. In such a case, the student shall be required to present an excuse slip to the faculty members concerned. A student who withdraws from the College without formal leave of absence shall have his registration privileges curtailed or entirely withdrawn.


Maximum Residence Rule

A student must finish the requirements of a course of any college with a period of actual residence equivalent to 1 1/2 times the normal length prescribed for the course, otherwise he shall not be allowed to register further in that College. This rule shall not apply to graduate students governed by existing rules regarding a maximum period. Furthermore, account shall be taken of the provision of Articles 243 of the Revised University Code which states that members of the faculty, officers and employees of the University have privilege of enrolling in the University for not more than 6 units a semester at reduced fees. The time limit for the completion of all Master’s degree requirements shall be five (5) years. The time limit for the completion of all doctoral requirements shall be six (6) years for a student who enters the doctoral program with a Master’s degree or its equivalent in the same discipline and eight (8) years for one who enters the doctoral program with a Bachelor’s degree or a Master’s degree in an unrelated discipline. The counting of the period of residence shall start from the student’s first enrollment in a graduate course after admission into the Master’s and Doctoral program and shall include all leaves of absence from the program. The regular period for completion for a graduate student transferring from another university shall be reduced by one (1) semester. If there are courses taken by the student prior to his/her admission to the program and credited to his/her course requirements, then the allowed period of completion will be reduced by a number of semesters equivalent to one semester for every nine (9) units of courses credited to his/her program.


Implementing Guidelines for the Request for Waiver of Maximum Residence Rule (MRR) in CHE

The request for waiver of MRR should be filed within the months of March (for Summer); April to May (for First Semester) and September to October ( for Second Semester). Requests beyond the set deadline will not be entertained. The student should follow the instructions for filing as specified in the form.


Other Guidelines

Leave of absence granted to an undergraduate for a maximum of one academic year shall not be counted in determining maximum residence. Moreover, LOA filed before or within 3/4 of the semester shall not be counted. Leave of absence filed after 3/4 of the semester is over, as well as semesters of absence without leave (AWOL), shall be included in counting the period of residence.


Honorable Dismissal

A student in good standing who desires to sever his connection with the University shall present a written petition to this effect to the University Registrar, signed by his parent or guardian. If the petition is granted, the student shall be given honorable dismissal. Generally, honorable dismissal is voluntary withdrawal from the University with the consent of the University Registrar or his representative. All indebtedness to the University must be settled before a statement of honorable dismissal will be issued. The statement indicates that the student withdrew in good standing as far as character and conduct are concerned. If the student has been dropped from the rolls on account of poor scholarship, a statement to that effect may be added to the honorable dismissal. A student who leaves the University by reason of expulsion due to disciplinary action shall be allowed to obtain his academic transcript of records without reference to dishonorable dismissal provided:

1. The student writes an application not less than one schoolyear, beginning the schoolyear immediately following the effectivity of the expulsion decision, has elapsed;

2. The party concerned, during the period of expulsion, has not been involved in any untoward incident affecting the University or been charged in Court after the Fiscal’s investigation; and

3. All such applications are subject to the action of the Board of Regents.


Graduation Requirements

No student shall be recommended for graduation unless he has satisfied all academic and other requirements prescribed for graduation. Candidates for graduation who began their studies under a curriculum more than 10 years old shall be governed by the following rules:

1. Those who have completed all the requirements of the curriculum but did not apply for, nor were granted, the corresponding degree or title shall have their graduation approved as of the date they should have originally graduated.

2. Those who have completed all but two or three subjects required by a curriculum shall be made to follow any of curriculum enforced from the time they first attended the University to the present.

All candidates for graduation must have their deficiencies made up and their records cleared not later than five weeks before the end of their last semester, with the exception of those in academic subjects and work in Physical Education and ROTC, in which the student is currently enrolled during that semester. No student shall be graduated from the University unless he has completed at least one year of residency work which may, however, be extended to a longer period by the proper faculty. The residence work referred to must be done immediately prior to graduation. No student who fails to pay the required graduation fee within the specified period set by the University Registrar shall be conferred any title of degree. Such a student may, however, upon his request and payment of the necessary fees, be given a certified copy of his credentials without specifying his completion of the requirements toward any title or degree. Students must file a formal application as candidates for graduation with the offices of the Deans of their respective colleges.


Graduation with Honors

Students who complete their courses with the following absolute minimum weighted average grade shall be graduated with honors 1.20 or better Summa cum laude 1.45-1.21 Magna cum laude 1.75-1.46 Cum laude Provided that all the grades in all subjects prescribed in the curriculum, as well as subjects that qualify as electives, shall be included in the computation of the weighted average; provided further that in cases where the electives taken are more than those required in the program, the following procedure will be used in selecting the electives to be included in the computation of the weighted average grade:

1. For students who did not shift programs, consider the required number of electives in chronological order

2. For students who shifted from one program to another, the electives to be considered shall be selected according to the following order of priority :

  a. Electives taken in the program where the student is graduating will be selected in chronological order.

  b. Electives taken in the previous program and acceptable as electives in the second program will be selected in chronological order.

  c. Prescribed courses taken in the previous program but qualify as electives in the second program will be selected in chronological order.


Scholarship and Financial Assistance Programs

Government and private scholarships are available to all students.


University Financial Assistance Program

The Socialized Tuition and Financial Assistance Program (STFAP) is given by the University to all qualified applicants based on socioeconomic factors, especially income levels. The financial assistance varies from 25% to 100% tuition fees discounts for income brackets 5 to 8. Students who belong to brackets 1 to 4 are exempted from paying tuition and laboratory fees and are given monthly stipends and book allowance pro rata. The University also offers free tuition to deserving faculty of government universities and colleges who pursue graduate programs in the College.


Private Scholarships

Private scholarships are donated to the University by alumni, private companies or individuals who specify the College and the degree programs to which the donation is given.