Seven Educative Goals
The College of Home Economics believes that its purpose in UP and in the country goes beyond providing advanced instruction and producing value-laden leaders in the different home economics specializations. For this reason, the CHE faculty in 1992 formulated for the first time their educative goals and committed to strengthen in themselves and in their students love of God, love of country, belief in the integral role of the family, ethical behavior, management-mindedness, pursuit of excellence and social responsibility.
CHE’s seven educative goals provide the unique stamp which distinguishes CHE graduates from those of other UP academic units.
I. LOVE OF GOD
- Belief in an Omnipotent being who governs the universe of which we are a part.
- This belief is manifested in the act of obedience to His will and concern for the well-being of one’s fellowmen.
II. LOVE OF COUNTRY
- Devotion to one’s country. This devotion is manifested by deliberate efforts to learn as much about the country; showing respect and pride in its people, history and culture; and zealously supporting the country towards self-determination and attainment of the common aspirations of its people.
III. BELIEF IN THE INTEGRAL ROLE OF THE FAMILY
- The family is the foundation of the nation (Article XV, Philippine Constitution).
- It is the basic unit which nurtures its members, a vital link in the transmission of values and an essential agent of change.
- Recognition of the essential role of the family implies continuing interest in its development, strengthening solidarity in one’s own family and others, and seriously considering the interactive influence of profession, family, and community.
IV. ETHICAL BEHAVIOR
- Manner of carrying day-to-day activities in conformity to moral and other standards of conduct.
- It starts with a clear understanding of basic moral or ethical principles.
- It is manifested in deliberate efforts to uphold these principles and be guided by them in everyday decision making.
- Recognition that institutions and organizations do not run by themselves.
- Orientation towards effective and efficient attainment of goals considering the larger environment.
- Development of necessary interpersonal, technical and conceptual skills.
VI. PURSUIT OF EXCELLENCE
- Commitment to discharge responsibilities in the light of one’s best efforts and to set increasingly higher goals based on sound values.
- It refers to academic matters or scholarship, and as such is concerned with critical and creative thinking and sharpening of the intellect, It refers to non-academic matters, as well.
- High standards are sought, prepared for through life-long learning and pursued in the home, school, work-place and in any where else one has a role to play.
VII. SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
- Dedication to serve the Filipino people, with preference for promoting the welfare of disadvantaged groups and the interest of the greater majority of the population.
- It begins with a recognition of a community beyond one’s kin and profession.
- It is expressed in advocacy and manifested by participating competency in the present society while working to improve it.
UP CHE College Faculty Meeting
April 22, 1992
Families and Home Economics Monograph Series No. 2 – The College of Home Economics at the University of the Philippines: What It Was, What It Is, What It Wants To Be and the Process of Becoming (1995)
by Cecilia A. Florencio